Monday, May 9, 2011

Two New Historicals?

Hey! Today, I found on American Girl Fan and Doll Diaries that American Girl is going to release two new historicals- and we have photos!


        These dolls look very pretty, but I'm disappointed that we we won't get a redhead... Anyways, Cecile and Marie-Grace are unlikely friends in New Orleans, 1854. They experience the Yellow Fever Epidemic and that is a main plot point in the story. Both of these girls look so cute!
         But there are many differences in their stories. For one thing, there is one 6-book set, with 3 books for each Cecile and Marie-Grace. Cecile's books are from a 1st-person point of view and are written by Denise Lewis Patrick. Marie-Grace's books are also told in a 1st person point of view format, and are written Sarah Masters Buckey. Both of these girl's lives intertwine. 
         Both of the dolls are very cute, but I don't think their very original. The last historical released (Rebecca) also had brown hair and light skin, and Cecile will most likely be an Addy doll with different hair style/part. 
         Also, I did notice some changes. Besides both of these dolls being important (i.e. one is not just a 'best friend doll'), their time period is 1853- AG is losing the tradition of having a time period ending in '4' Maybe they are trying to separate themselves from Kirsten (she was 1854), but honestly, I don't think anyone would have minded.


So what are your views?
~Gabby


PS: Also, PPAG participants read this! Your 3rd assignment was due last Friday and I only got about 2 or 3 assignments. I'm giving you guys until this Friday to have it in. Thanks! :-)

11 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait for the new historicals!!! I was kinda disappointed, too, but I'm excited that AG is giving up the '4' thing because I'm hoping that there well be a Korean War era doll someday, but I'd be content with a fifties doll of any kind.
~Katie~

Rebekah said...

I'm sooo excited about them! They're both adorable! But I don't like how 'common' Marie-Grace looks, either. They could have made her red-haired or blonde!
Thanks for extending the PPAG deadline... I completely forgot about it until Saturday! This time I'll remember to mark my calendar. :)

Karen M. Owen said...

I agree I wish they would have a red head doll too. I hope that these new dolls have their own looks and not be cookie cutters of the existing dolls. Thank you for sharing this news!

Emily said...

I love Marie-Grace, even thought she is common. Cecile is ok.

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

I think they're both beautiful...don't know if I'll get them, but they are pretty. I think it will be interesting to have a story from 2 different points of view.

According to the discussions on AG Playthings (where this picture originated before it was on the other sites), the choice to set the books in 1853 was because the Yellow Fever epidemic was at its worst in 1853.

Leanna said...

Oh wow I just saw this Gabby! Thanks for posting about this!

I have many opinions about this. The traditions, like not having the '4' and having only 3 books is kind of different, but I like changes and this one sounds interesting.

Thanks again for the info, I was so happy to see this!

Leanna

Emily said...

Gabby,
I think the reason neither of these dolls is a redhead is because of Felicity. These dolls are replacing Felicity and Elizabeth. AG probably doesn't want to make a redhead to replace a redhead. This is just my opinion.
-Emily

Ley Firewalker said...

Oh, yeah!!! Exciting!!

-Ley

Natalie said...

Rebecca replaced Samantha, and Marie-Grace and Cecile are replacing Nellie and Kirsten. Since there wasn`t a doll to replace Nellie one of these dolls are replacing Nellie, and the other, Kirsten. There are two reasons that they end with the number 3. 1) That is when Yellow Fever was at it`s strongest point. 2) They didn`t want to use the same time period that Kirsten was (1854.)

BSicker said...

OMG soooooooo exiting! does any one know the relase date?

Unknown said...

I know this is REALLY OLD but I don't like that they are 1 year apart of Kirsten. Really AG? That disapoints me :(