Sunday, January 29, 2012

Official: New AG Historical Character! (I Think I Have the Name and Time Period!))

Hello girls! I was on the web today when I looked and Doll Diaries and found that Kathleen Ernst (author of many AG mysteries like A Runaway Friend) was credited with writing 6 American Girl books that are going to be released this year.
So, I looked at American Girl's trademark site and found there were 3 names copyrighted anywhere from 2009-10 that would make the most sense for a Historical Character name.
Now, I looked on Baby Name Wizard- a very cool website where you can track a name's popularity- which works really well if you want to try and find the time period. First, I looked up Caroline.
As you can see, Caroline has been very popular- especially in the late 1800s. However, Caroline is a classic name that has been around forever- it's lowest rank was only #295- so it's hard to judge which time period just this one name. 
So, I looked up Isabel. There are so similarities in both of the names. They both were in the top 300 in the late 1800s and were mildly popular in the 50s. However, I can't fully guess the time period unless I look up the last name- Saba. But I couldn't anything. :-( 
Saba is a very unpopular name and is also unisex- so it's really hard to track it's popularity. 
As for the time period, what could that be? While Caroline and Isabel have been popular in all of the decades, the both experienced rises of popularity in the late 1800s and drop offs in the 50s (although still remained in the top 300). My first guess would be a late 1800s doll, but when a reporter went inside AG headquarters in Middleton, WI, he noticed plenty of 1950s gear.
It makes sense, both names were popular in the fifties, a reporter saw fifties gear, and Molly will most likely be retired this year.

But what do you think?
~Gabby


14 comments:

Priya said...

That's cool! Also, I read on the AGFMB that her name is going to be Caroline, it's an awesome name! :)

Anonymous said...

I raelly wanta fifties doll my fav time period ever

Anne said...

COOL!! That's so awesome that you did that! I hope we get some new historicals this year. And I hope they retire Molly. To be honest, I never liked her a whole lot. But I really really hope they won't retire Josaphina anytime soon, or Kaya, or Kit. I love them.

Kate said...

Thanks for all the info I cant wait to find out more abut the new girl

Sara said...

I really hope it's not Molly. I got Molly when I was 6, (and being the huge AG freak I am) still play with her all the time. My dad is in the Army, like her dad, and my mom got me Molly for Christmas on his first deployment ever. She was one of my favorite Christmas presents. (Every AG doll is, LOL!) I knew this would happen soon, but not this soon! I am glad I have her entire collection, though. One doll I also hope they don't retire soon is Kit, because I really want her. Thanks Gabby, for finding this.

Geridil said...

Thanks so much for this info! You did a lot of research and I'm so excited for the new historical! I'm sad that they might retire Molly because Molly had a good story. Anyway, thanks for the info!!

Emma said...

That's so cool, I've never heard of the name Saba!

Emma Kate said...

That is so cool!

~Emma
PS: I watched some of the videos on your YouTube and I LOVED them!! :)

All AG said...

Oh my goshes! I have ALWAYS wanted a fifties doll. When my birthday comes I might save for her. She would be my fourth doll. I hope to get 150 dollars. 50 for vacation plus my 55. One hundred for my doll! :)

Anonymous said...

I saw the Girls of Many Lands by AG and there was a girl named Saba and a girl named Isabel.

Sarah said...

Don't forget there's an ISU named Isabelle, so that probably won't be her name

Anonymous said...

Saba or Caroline are great names for American Girl, but I think they used the Isabel trademark for InnerStar University.

Anonymous said...

I hope it might be the 2 bestfriend collections in the civil war one friend on the union other in confederacy. Maybe in the Roaring 20's or the sweet 50s

Kaeden said...

That is so cool! I really hope they make her from the 1950's!! If AG did make another doll from the 1800's, i doubt they would make another doll from the late 1800's considering they allready have Cecile and Marie-Grace who are from the 1850's and Addy from the 1860's and they had Kirsten from also from the 1850's, but shes retired.