Thursday, January 5, 2012

Week #1: Kaya {AGBC}

Hey girls! Are you ready to start the AGBC? Well, I am and we are starting January with one of my favorite American Girl characters- Kaya.
Here are some fun facts about Kaya:

  • Kaya's books' titles are the first to differ from the traditional format, for ex. Kaya's Hero and Kaya Shows the Way.
  • While Kaya's tribe is known as the Nez Perce, though the Nez Perce people refer to themselves as the Nimiipu.
  • Kaya has one sister, Speaking Rain, who is blind, and twin brothers. 
So for this week, we will be reading Meet Kaya: An American Girl and Kaya's Escape: A Survival Story. Come back regularly for updates on my sidebar- I will be posting where I am in the books and what I like so far! Then once you've finished the two books, come back and answer these questions. I look forward to seeing your answers and replying to any of your questions. Remember, this is a book club so questions are encouraged- ask anybody about the books in the comments section!

Here are my questions for you:

Trivia Questions:
Kaya is given the nickname Magpie for competing in what event?
Kaya and Speaking Rain are kidnapped by which Native American tribe?

Book Questions:
What is your favorite part about of both of the books?
What do you think of Kaya's character so far? Do you think she's brave and daring, or just a fool?

I look forward to reading your comments and replying to them as well!
~Gabby

ps. Every Thursday is an AGBC Day!

10 comments:

Emma Kate said...

Hi Gabby! I am going to start reading today! I am so glad that there is now an American Girl Book Club.

Sammie said...

Kaya is called Magpie because she only thought of herself and didn't take care of her brothers.

Emma Kate said...

I read the first chapter of Meet Kaya! :)

Priya said...

Cool, but I don't have any Kaya books, so I can't enter. Maybe next month I can! :)

Kate said...

How long do we have to read it because i will have to get the book at the Libarary

Georgia

Gabby said...

Georgia-
As a group, you will have a week to read it, but don't worry, all AGBC pages will be kept in a special page (not created yet) where you can look back on an AGBC post.

~Gabby

Sammie said...

Priya-you can take the books out of the library
Gabby- I finished the whole Kaya series during the summer but I will still take part in discussions.

Lexie said...

Gabby I know this isn't book related I can't find the post but may I please send in my goty through email? I do not have any account of what you put.

Lissie said...

just finished both books & loved them! i'm so glad you chose kaya's books because i've never read them and never was very interested so this gave me a reason. i'm so glad i did because they are awesome! my favorite part is when the wolf leads kaya to her father and then they are so happy to find each other...i cried! can't wait to get started on the next two, but i have to wait for them to come into my library.

All AG said...

She was called magpie because she decided to race instead of taking care of her brothers. She was captured by the buffalo tribe.