Saturday, August 28, 2010

Thoughts on Archiving

Hi!


I love American Girl. I do, but it's hard when they archive dolls. I think what it all comes down too is that American Girl isn't perfect. And they make mistakes just like any other company (just take Bratz for example, who really wants a doll named after a snobby type of person?). And I think that a lot of things that they done have been mistakes. For example bringing a virtual world into a high-quality line of dolls. Don't get me wrong, I like InnerstarU but I don't think it was the best thing American Girl made. I think they should've focused on the Historicals, because after all, wasn't that what put the American in American Girl? 


And now with Felicity going way, I'm starting to think that maybe American Girl doesn't care about the doll going way itself, but what money will be going into it. 


Take for example, Samantha.
She was a doll, a happy doll.
She had a best friend, Nellie.

She even got her own movie!

So she was pretty much set to retire. She had everything any doll could ask for and was one of the Original 3, so it made sense that she was first to retire. I'm not saying that it was good that she was archived, I'm just saying that she was set and had everything.

Now what about Kirsten?


She was happy doll.
But had no best friend.
She had no movie.
But she was one of the original 3, which I guess made it "okay" for her to be archived.

Now look at Felicity. I've decided I want her more than MAG 37, so if I get a doll, I'm getting her.

I don't want her retired, but she again has everything, a movie, a best friend. So why is she getting retired? We may never know, but I do know that every single doll that will every get archived will have a home in our hearts.

~Gabby

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree i have 7 dolls 6 of them historical and 1 jly and i really like historical because they put more into the doll or they use to now they just make the doll wait at leat 2-3 years(+) and retire i like the historical dolls with everythingg-movie, friend etc. and now it seems as they put more into mag im just saying PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ON THIS SUBJECT-i dont feel rebecca is a hc-historical charecter-because i have been a ag lover for a long time and love the originals and rebecca just came walking in but i do understand why they retire and add because thats better for buisness and change is good (im just not ready for rebbeca to change kirsten who was 1 of my fav. SORRY THIS WAS SO LONG

I♥AG
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
KATRINA

Anonymous said...

i agree with every thing gabby said and KATRINA and yes her post was long but if you haven't you should read it and i wasn't ready for rebecca either and still wish kirsten was here

Anonymous said...

Why can't you comment on the name Princess if you are anonymous?

Munch said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

why thank you-wait were you talking about the first comment cause that was me ;o)
I♥AG
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
KATRINA

Anonymous said...

wow that (like munch said) was very well done i totally agreed and yes i am talking about the fist comment. What you said was very true. You rock!!!!

Gabby said...

Hey!

I definitely agree with Katrina. I love Kirsten and Samantha but when she first came out, I though Rebecca was fake. She looked perfect even though she was supposedly poor. I enjoy her books but I think that she still is a little too perfect and doesn't seem to have any imperfections.

Also, I'm not sure why Anonymous users can't comment on The Name Princess. I will look at see though. If not you can always comment in OpenID and just use a fake name.

~Gabby

Gabby said...

I meant to say "thought". Sorry!

Alice said...

Next year is AG's 25th anniversary. I don't think AG will do anything about archived dolls next year but maybe on their 50th anniversary(wich is far, far away) they might bring back archived dolls, like Barbie did with bringing back old Barbies. But AG's 50th anniversary isn't really close..

Anonymous said...

Gabby- whats a openID name i can use to let me comment on the name princess

Gabby said...

Anonymous-

Hey! When you first open up the comment box, under it will say- Comment As and then have a scroll-down-menu. Go to the scroll down menu and click OpenID.

Hope this helps,
Gabby

Anonymous said...

umm well i know that part of it but because i dont have and openID like you said i could ude a fake one but like what for an idea

Anonymous said...

RESPONSE TO KATRINA

American Girl needed a change but why couldn't they give some one like kirsten, josefina or someone else a friend or like just not taken kirsten away ahe was my favorite


♥Kirsten

Sierra said...

Well put, I think they archived Felicit because they weren't selling well and Molly was selling great, but I still think that AG should've archived Molly first.
Also just something about the movies. I think that Kirsten should've gotten a movie instead of Kit because she was one of the first three, and she was going to be archived first

To Wisconsin With Love said...

This is so wrong... Pleasant T. Rowling would never have "archived" any of her beloved historicals... this is all just a big gimmick Mattel is making. I bet, for AG's 50th anniversary, they'll bring all the archived dolls back and charge higher. AG is going downhill...

Gabby said...

Anonymous-

OpenID doesn't require an account but gives you the option to "sign out" if needed so you don't have to keep changing your name.

~Gabby

Caelen said...

I'm getting Felicity in the mail soon!

Anonymous said...

I am incredibly unhappy with American Girl for archiving all these amazing dolls! I totally agree with everyone about Rebecca she totally replaced Samantha and Kirsten and she's from the same time era as Samantha so there really wasn't a reason to archive her. I still like American Girl but it's a little disappointing..