Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Kanani

Hi! *Before I start this post, I want to say that these opinions expressed in the post are mine, please respect them as I would do for you. Please feel free to post your opinions in the comment section too!*


Today, as I was reading the latest edition of American Girl Magazine, I found a pretty shocking ad and flyer. The back cover was plastered with a face of a girl we all know to well-
Miss Kanani Akina. I was surprised and shocked. Although, I guess I shouldn't be because of they did this same thing to Lanie last year.
But then, I saw this flyer-
So, you know each GOTY since Nicki, has had a contest? Like how Chrissa had girls create 'Stop the Bullying' posters and Lanie got girls outside to take nature pictures? Well, for Miss Kanani, in order to enter to win a Kanani Doll (nope, there are no GOTY collections being given away this time!), girls must create an e-card to send to friends and family- and you can enter as many times as you like. So, what will this mean? Thousands of girls sitting in front of their computers and creating e-card after e-card. Yay.

I wish American Girl would have done something else, like have girls write a story about living in Hawaii or having girls submit photos or stories about how they have shared their spirit. (Kanani's all about spirit, AG describes her as- She's a cheerful girl who helps others by sharing Hawaii's Aloha Spirit.) Now what, may I ask, is 'Aloha Spirit'?

I am seriously thinking AG is losing it's touch. A virtual world? Eight dollar graphic tees? Contests where girls enter by sending e-mails?
It's just not the AG I loved as a six-year-old.
~Gabby



12 comments:

Phoebe said...

I agree. It's just upsetting. But I know why AG is losing it's magic touch. One word: profit. It's so sad. But on a happy note, Kanani is gorgeous!

American Girl Dolls Rock!! said...

I totally agree!! American Girl is just after making money and the doll outfits are getting way overpriced!! The ruby red dress is $36!!!
Outfits like that used to be $24 were I could actually get 4 or five outfits for $100!! I remember when dolls were $87! Where is AG heading $40 per outfit?
Well besides the point I love Kanani!!

Katrina said...

I agreee with both you (Gabby) and Phoebe (about Porfit). I still love american girl but not the same as when I was younger.
I probally will send ecards though...but I'd rather write a story or take pictures. But things are changing these days with the economy and well profit and buissness.

~Katrina

AG Fan said...

If any people are wondering why you can't send e-cards yet it is because the first date that you are able to send e-cards is the first of January.

Munch said...

I completely agree. AG is really loosing their touch. I fell in love with AG many years ago, but now I don't feel happy when I look at their magazine anymore. I don't get the excited feeling I got when AG was all about the dolls and making girls happy. It seems all they care about is money.

Elisha said...

Like everyone else who has commented on here. AG is LOSING their touch! Kanani is TOO MUCH like Kailey, Jess, and Marisol! And I'm going to enter the Kanani contest but I personally don't care if I don't win. I like Kanani's hair but her eyes aren't very pretty. AG used to come out with all new stuff but now they're putting off releasing the GOTY African-American girl. Why? I don't know! Like Katrina I'd rather take pictures than be on the computer so much! AND like American Girl Dolls rock said- AG is charging wayyyyyy too much! American Girl dolls and clothes I used to be able to afford. Now I could buy my own PHONE cheaper than a DOLL. Actually I did buy my own iPod Touch instead of an AG doll with the money. AG is just losing their touch and ideas for new dolls!

Addison79 said...

I agree (About them and their obsession with profit)! I just recently got into American Girl, but I have to pass up on so many things I like because of the price. Kanani's Shaved Ice Stand is $115, and her Lounge Chair is $58. I don't think I'll get more than two or three things from her collection. Hopefully, American Girl will learn that their prices are driving away customers, and fast!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone.I first discovered AG back in 2005....a big change..all about money....I think they are going to start loosing business..if they keep change everything....all the historical dolls should never retired. I am not to happy with the new dolls....GOTY 2011..I thought she would be nicer....everything that comes with her cost way to much....

Amanda and the Girls said...

I agree 100%. THIS IS AWFUL! They can't expect girls to have millions of bucks to spend! The shaved ice stand costs more than a doll! Geez, but I'm going to get Kanani, she's gorgeous! :) Yeah, about sending ecards? That's ridiculous too. I thought they wanted girls to have a life instead of just sitting in front of a screen all day to win a doll. They also have to cut back the prices, but I still love AG :)

ChannelAG1 said...

i agree with EVERYONE that said something on here. :( it's just so horrible. I used to love ag so much...we should all send an e-mail to ag or something saying that we don't like how everything's so high-priced. I just wish they wouldn't do this to us...also, the eyes, i personally wish they were more green but the truth is hawaiians have brown eyes. i like her hair though. i wish they would price the dolls less because I really want to get another doll. I started back in 2006 so the first GOTY I heard of was Jess. Also, that feeling whenever I opened a box felt so...good.:) please AG, we all miss the REAL you. </3

Just_a_girl_after_God said...

I also agree with everything here that been said. I've been feeling the magic slip away a bit more each year. It hit a head for me a couple months ago when I saw the commercials for Just Like You dolls on tv. You cannot tell them they are charging too much money when Lanie's camper was $295.00 and was on backorder ALL YEAR. Sadly people are willing to pay these outrageous prices just so there little girl doesn't feel left out on the playground when all the girls start talking about their dolls & what sets they have. I still have a few old catalogs and I cannot believe that a few years ago you could get an outfit w/ shoes & accessories for 18 bucks. And the dolls used to be $82.00 - Shame on you Mattel.

Shari said...

I agree that the nature of this contest is very disappointing. It seems more like a marketing campaign for AG.